Under the direction of the Superintendent of the Northumberland Borough Sewer Department and the Assistant Superintendent, the Full-time Laborer/operator position’s main responsibility is to assist in general tasks related to work at the Northumberland Borough Sewage Treatment plant. This is a union position.
The Full-time Laborer/Operator is responsible for the following:
- Gathering of samples under direction of plant staff.
- Basic lab work and records associated with sampling of wastewater.
- Routine checks of Sewer Department pump stations.
- Record keeping of required values, such as pump hours.
- Climbing of ladders.
- Manual opening and closing of valves.
- Operation of pumps.
- Decanting of supernatant.
- Transfer of sludge amongst digesters.
- Regular equipment maintenance.
- General building and grounds maintenance.
- Obtain a PA DEP Wastewater Operator’s License.
The Full-time Laborer/Operator must possess the following job skills:
- Must possess a valid PA driver’s license.
- Good skill in the use of hand and power tools and mechanical and electrical ship and field equipment.
- Ability to understand technical manuals, drawings, blueprints and schematics.
- Ability to handle a variety of duties without close supervision.
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform mathematic calculations.
- Job may include call-in work (24 houri 7 day week) during emergency or unusual situations.
- Exposure to usual noise associated with equipment and plant environment.
- May be exposed to odors from plant processes and laboratory field samples.
- Exposure to atmospheric conditions such as heat, cold, dust, fumes, vapors or mists.
All work will be conducted for the NBSD under the direction of the Superintendent and/or Assistant Superintendent. The time clock located within the office will be utilized to track work hours, which will typically be Monday – Friday 7am – 3pm. There will be a 120-Day probationary period.
Please contact Jeremy at 570-473-1992 and fill out an employment application.